Even though the material presented here on today’s post is not my original work, I feel compelled to put it up today. I may be breaking some sort of copyright law, but the fact that it’s “out there” on the internet already makes me feel the author would be happy to have it circulated. It was sent to me in an email (how else?) and the questions are too good not to reach the largest audience possible. If anyone knows the origin, please let me know so that I can contact them directly. This exceptionally smart observer has this to say:
I’m a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight…..
* If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you’re “exotic, different.”
* Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, [you’re] a quintessential American story.
* If your name is Barack you’re a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you’re a maverick.
*Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.
* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you’re well grounded.
* If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate’s Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran’s Affairs committees, you don’t have any real leadership experience.
* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you’re qualified to become the country’s second highest ranking executive.
* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you’re not a real Christian.
* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you’re a Christian.
* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.
* If , while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state’s school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant , you’re very responsible.
* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family’s values don’t represent America’s.
* If your husband is nicknamed “First Dude”, with at least one DWI conviction and no education, who didn’t register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.
OK, much clearer now.
And now, another discovery through a separate email, for those of you who need a little “pure pleasure,” or something that will take your mind of the election for a little while so your blood pressure can go down, there’s this video from YouTube and American Idol. I would say also it reminds us that in spite of the chaos around us in a country that’s becoming harder and harder to recognize from the one most of grew up in, we can still dream . . . and DARE to hope that this election turns out right after all the s**t making the rounds. I think you’ll find it very entertaining.